After writing the content for your ebook, the next thing is the cover. The cover is important for promoting the ebook, distributing it and doing the whole marketing procedure Take a look at these tips and see how an ebook cover template is produced as well some considerations you should keep in mind.
Authors and publishers know that cover design is really important for the success of the ebook. In the first few years, when ebooks were starting to show up, they all had very simple covers with just plain text or they didn’t even have covers. Now, an ebook without a cover would be rejected immediately by the retailers.
The cover needs to tell the story of the book, to represent the topic and the genre. And it’s not the same when designing for a printed book and for an ebook. The digital world is a bit different from the printing world and has its own requirements.
There are 3 basic shapes that you should consider when creating the design for the cover of your ebook and they are:
- Rectangle with a 3:2 ratio: This is approximately the shape of the printed books and the optimal Kindle screen shape.
- Rectangle with a 4:3 ratio: This is the common ratio for videos and digital photos and the ratio of the iPad screen.
- Square with a 1:1 ratio: This is not the usual screen ratio, but it’s common for images of products on the websites. A shape like this allows you to maximize the online space for displaying.
Within the 3 different shapes, there are 4 variations of the size. Keep in mind that sizes of digital images are measure in pixels and not in cm.
- Thumbnail. This is a very small view of the cover and it’s the most common one. But, this thumbnail is very important because it’s the one that appears in browse results when readers try to find your book an buy it. Amazon ebook cover template has the typical 80×115 pixels which on a computer is displayed as 2×3 cm.
- E-reader screen. This is the visuals that will show up to your readers when they open your ebook on the reading device. Some might say that this screen is not very significant because readers see it only after they do the purchase and buy your book. On an iPhone and older Kindles, this will be 600×800. On older iPads and on an iPad mini, thi would be 768×1024 pixels.
- Future-proof. Always keep a master copy with the highest resolution.
If you ask someone about the perfect size of an ebook cover template, the shortest anwer you might get is that there is no perfect size. But, a general rule now is that you upload an ebook cover that is 1600 pixels on the short side. Specifications can vary among different distributors of ebooks and can change with new devices. Adjustments are also being made constantly because of the changes that constantly happen in the digital world and because of that, you should have all ebook covers designed at 2500 pixels on the short size and 300 dpi. With this, you not just have the right size for the moment, but you are also future-proofing your work for the changes to come in the future.